- 1 kg chicken drumsticks skin removed
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon nigella seeds or onions seeds
- 4 dried whole red chilies
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 1 large yellow onion finely sliced
- 1½ tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup full fat yogurt lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ cup cilantro finely chopped for garnish
Step 1: Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and heat oil. Add the mustard seeds and once they start to pop add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, nigella seeds, and fenugreek seeds. Sauté for 10 seconds. Add the sliced onion and mix well. Add whole red chilies and saute for 3 to 4 mins covered or until the onions become translucent. Next, add ginger, garlic paste, turmeric, chili powder, salt, and mix well.
Step 2: Turn off sauté mode, add ½ cup of water and deglaze the pot. Add the chicken pieces and stir everything together until the chicken is coated with all the spices. Layer the tomato paste on top and do not mix. Close the Instant Pot and pressure cook for 6 minutes followed by natural pressure release.
Step 3: Open the Instant Pot and add some hot gravy to the bowl of yogurt and stir. This helps bringing up the temperature of cold yogurt, preventing it from splitting in the curry. Add the curried yogurt to the chicken and mix well. Stir in lemon juice and garnish with cilantro.
Calories: 276kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 1356mg | Potassium: 550mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 921IU | Vitamin C: 71mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 3mg