Skip to the content
- The patient should be supine with the head of the bed flat.
- Have patient bend knees, if possible, to help relax the abdominal muscles.
Ultrasound machine preparation
- Use a Curvilinear probe to examine the abdominal aorta.
- Use a Phased Array probe to obtain the suprasternal notch view.
- Abdominal Setting to view the abdominal aorta. Starting Depth should be around 10-15cm.
- Cardiac Setting for the suprasternal view. Starting Depth should be around 10cm.
- Ultrasound Machine Placement:
- Place the machine on the patient’s right side, so you can scan with your right hand and manipulate the ultrasound buttons with your left hand.