- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Dill pickle slices, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the salsa, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir in chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve about 1/3 cup chicken mixture on each bun.
Can you freeze BBQ Chicken Sandwiches?
Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add a little water if necessary. Serve in buns; if desired, add pickle slices.
1 sandwich: 284 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.