- 4 Beetroots medium
- 2 cups water
- 1½ tbsp sesame oil
- 1 onion medium, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger fresh, grated
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 green chilli large
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- ¼ cup almonds plain, chopped
- Wash, peel and slice the beetroot into medium cubes.
- Place beetroot cubes into a saucepan and fill with water to cover.
- Place the lid and bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until tender. Drain the water and set beetroot aside.
- In a pan, add oil and saute onion and ginger for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in beetroot, cumin and green chilli and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon and sliced almonds.
- Buy beets that are similar in size to promote even cooking.
- Wear gloves when washing, peeling and chopping, to avoid staining your hands.
- Use a vegetable peeler, instead of a knife.
- Don’t forget to cover the pot, when boiling. This will speed up the cooking process.
- Avoid discarding the nutritious beet greens. Use them as you would collard greens; saute with a dash of oil and seasoning to create a the nutritious dish.