- 2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
Step 1: Heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/2 of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with additional 1-1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef. Remove beef from stockpot. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add onions, ginger and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes until onions are tender.
Step 3: Add tomato sauce and garam masala; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
Step 4: Add peas and half-and-half; continue simmering, uncovered, 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
Serve stew with hot cooked basmati rice or naan and lime wedges (optional).
SAFE HANDLING TIPS:
- Wash hands with soap and water before cooking and always after touching raw meat.
- Separate raw meat from other foods.
- Wash all cutting boards, utensils, and dishes after touching raw meat.
- Do not reuse marinades used on raw foods.
- Wash all produce prior to use.
- Cook beef until temperature reaches 145°F for medium rare steaks and roasts 160°F for ground beef.
- Refrigerate food promptly.