The best stock tracking app is the one that helps you reach your goals for your investment portfolio. Carefully consider what features are likely to work best for you and your budget. In the end, you can usually put together a system that works for your financial situation and long-term goals.
We looked at different stock tracking apps and considered different features. This list represents different choices for those with varying priorities. There’s a good chance that you can find something on this list that fits your needs, based on what matters most to you when deciding on the best stock tracking app for you.
When deciding on the best stock tracking app for you, it’s important to consider your own needs and preferences. Different apps have various features that may be more useful to you, depending on your goals and how you manage your portfolio.
- If you just want to keep tabs on your portfolio and see how it’s doing relative to your overall finances, something like Personal Capital or Mint is usually adequate.
- However, if you want to use your stock monitoring app to buy and sell, you may be better off using the tools offered by a broker like TD Ameritrade or E*TRADE. SigFig can also be a good choice if you can meet the minimum and pay the price for help managing your portfolio.
- Finally, if you’re more interested in research so you can make your own choices and then apply what you’ve learned to your portfolio, Yahoo! Finance and Morningstar offer good options. Look at pricing to see if you need to add extra features. In general, Morningstar is considered one of the best choices because of its robust research reports on stocks and funds. However, if you’re just interested in charts and basic information, Yahoo! Finance can often do the trick.
One of the best stock ticker apps out there is Yahoo! Finance. You can create your own watchlist and stock screener and see all the relevant information for individual stocks and ETFs. This is one of the best stock tracking apps for those who want access to research and information to help them make decisions. You can check these charts online or use the mobile app.
- Robust tools and screeners to build your own watchlist
- Free to use
- Ideal for research, including information on dividends and performance
- Can’t buy and sell stocks
- Some features require you to buy the Premium version
SigFig offers both a free version and paid version. With this app, you can connect your accounts and then see all your assets and measure individual performances. SigFig is ideal if you want access to an external analysis that can help you make portfolio adjustments be more efficient. And you get real-time market tracking and live support. SigFig is available on the web as well as in a mobile app.
- Robust stock monitoring app free
- Real-time market tracking
- Connect all your accounts and analyze your efficiency
- Must have a $2,000 minimum to keep money with SigFig and buy and sell investments
- 0.25% annual fee if you have more than $10,000 in your account
- No cash management account
One of the most well-known brokers is E*TRADE. With this app, you can track stock performances and take advantage of a variety of research tools. Additionally, it’s possible to add stocks to a watchlist and use that as a stock ticker app to monitor prices. E*TRADE is ideal for someone who has some experience and advanced knowledge of trading and wants to be able to control their portfolio.
E*TRADE is available on the web. And they also have a robust mobile app that makes it easy to trade.
- $0 transaction fee for stocks and ETFs
- Use your watchlist to make choices for your portfolio
- Easy to trade using the mobile app
- Live chat can be slow
- No access to foreign markets
TD Ameritrade is a broker that is owned by financial services company Charles Schwab. If you want to have access to advanced tools, including real-time streaming quotes and a stock screen, TD Ameritrade could be a great choice. This stock monitoring app is available via web-based and mobile-based platforms. And you can access past performance and charting as well as other tools. We consider TD Ameritrade to be one of the best investment apps in 2022.
- Free trades for stocks and exchange-traded funds (ETFs)
- Access to the robust “thinkorswim” platform
- Ability to execute trades based on what you see in the stock ticker app
- Learning curve for beginners using the platform — it’s not always intuitive
- Can’t buy fractional shares
Stock Rover—StockRover is a robust investment screening and analysis website that gives users access to various tools. Besides tracking tools you also get access to including investment data, charts, research reports, ratings, customizable screeners and custom alerts.
StockRover goes far beyond the typical free screeners on large investment data websites. You can intergrate data from your brokerage, get in-depth portfolio analysis, future dividend income projection, Monte Carlo simulation tools for future performance, and much, much more. The free account is extensive but there are also paid versions that give you access to even more bells and whistles.
- Extensive research
- Lots of chartings tools
- Free option
- High cost
- No mobile app support
- Not for beginners
- No refunds
Morningstar offers high-end research that’s best for serious investors. You can set up a portfolio tracker and get ratings on various stocks and funds. This is the priciest stock tracker app on this list, at $199 per year for their Premium version. However, you get access to some of the best research available. You can use Morningstar’s online app on your computer or get the mobile app.
- Compare investments side by side to decide what belongs in your portfolio
- Monitors market activity and present it in an easy-to-digest format
- Requires an annual fee
- You have to execute your own trades
Seeking Alpha has a huge variety of resources available to help you make more informed investing decisions. You’ll get access to up to 15 newsletters by email for free. But you’ll need to upgrade to Premium if you want access to Seeking Alpha’s ratings screener and Top Rated stocks. You can also upgrade to Pro if you would appreciate VIP concierge service or would like to totally remove ads.
- Easy to follow specific authors and receive updates when they publish new content
- Proprietary tools like Stock Quant Ratings and Author Ratings
- Massive and engaged investing community
- Several ratings tools require Premium membership
- Pro plan is pricey