- Head of the bed should be down
- The patient should be supine
- Have patient bend legs relax the abdominal area to facilitate scanning
Category: 3. Machine and Patient Preparation
- Ideally, place the machine on the patient’s right side so you can scan with your right hand and manipulate ultrasound buttons with your left hand.
- Transducer: Ideally use a curvilinear probe since it can give better resolution of the vessels, but a phased array probe can be used as well
- Preset: Abdominal
- The Indicator should be on the left side of the screen
- You must have Pulse Wave Doppler capability on your ultrasound system. Most cart-based systems have this. Unfortunately, most hand-held ultrasounds don’t have Pulse Wave Doppler.