- 250 g chicken, boneless
- 4 sprig curry leaves, divided
- 4 green chilli, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cups oil, for frying (approximately)
- 4 tbsp besan
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp water
- Cut the boneless chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- Remove the curry leaves from 2 x stalks and finely chop.
- De-seed 1 x green chilli and finely chop.
- Make a slit down the length of the remaining 3 chillies and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the chicken, curry leaves, green chilli, garlic, ginger, garam masala, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and turmeric powder. Mix until well combined, cover and let it marinate in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Then add besan, rice flour, baking powder, egg white and mix well. Add 1 tbsp of water at a time to get a good consistency. It should be sticky and thick.
- On medium to high heat, heat up oil for frying. Add one chicken piece to test to see if it is hot enough. Then add the chicken pieces one by one. When it is a nice golden brown and cooked, remove and set aside.
- Once all cooked, place the chicken pakoras back onto the hot oil for a second round for extra crispness. Remove and place on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
- When finished, add the curry leaves of 2 x stalks and the rest of the green chillies into the hot oil. When cooked, add on top of the chicken pakoras. Serve.
- You can use any cut of the chicken as long as you’re able to get even cubes. Breast, thigh and tenderloins work well.
- If you want more fresh ingredients, you can also add finely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves.
- Some other dry spices you can add to the recipe include black pepper, Kashmiri chilli, cumin, fenugreek and chaat masala.
- To reduce the level of spiciness, be sure to de-seed the green chilli, add less chill powder or omit altogether.
- Do not overcrowd the fry pan or saucepan in the first round of frying. This will ensure the chicken is cooked evenly.
Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 321mg | Potassium: 78mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 192IU | Vitamin C: 46mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg