To diagnose an animal bite, your healthcare provider will conduct a thorough history and physical exam. This will help them to determine your infection risk and which treatments are needed. Your healthcare provider will ask several questions including:6
- What kind of animal bit you?
- Do you know if this animal has been vaccinated against rabies?
- How did the bite happen?
- How did you clean the wound?
- Did you apply an antibiotic ointment?
- Was the animal acting strangely or aggressively?
- When was your last tetanus shot?