It’s important to make an appointment to see your healthcare professional if you develop shortness of breath, even if you think you might know the reason to explain your symptoms. They will take a careful history and do a physical exam.
Some of the questions they may ask include:
- When did you first experience shortness of breath and how did it first begin?
- Do you have any other symptoms, such as chest pain, a cough, wheezing, fever, leg pain, unexplained weight loss, or fatigue?
- Have you traveled recently by car or by plane?
- Do your symptoms occur at rest or only with activity?
- Which activities seem to cause your symptoms?
- Do you feel more winded when you are sitting up or lying down?
- Do you have a personal or family history of any heart or lung problems?
- Have you ever smoked? If so, for how long?