There are thousands of enzymes in the human body, here are just a few examples:
- Lipases – a group of enzymes that help digest fats in the gut.
- Amylase – helps change starches into sugars. Amylase is found in saliva.
- Maltase – also found in saliva; breaks the sugar maltose into glucose. Maltose is found in foods such as potatoes, pasta, and beer.
- Trypsin – found in the small intestine, breaks proteins down into amino acids.
- Lactase – also found in the small intestine, breaks lactose, the sugar in milk, into glucose and galactose.
- Acetylcholinesterase – breaks down the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in nerves and muscles.
- Helicase – unravels DNA.
- DNA polymerase – synthesize DNA from deoxyribonucleotides.