For The Marination
- 1 kg chicken cut into small pieces
- salt to taste
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice approximately 10 to 15 lemons depending upon the size
- 2 heaped tbsp ginger garlic paste
For The Spice Mix
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds methi dana
- 1 tsp fennnel seeds saunf
- 2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 tsp black pepper corns kali mirch
For The Lemon Chicken Curry
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- handful of curry leaves
- 5 to 10 whole dry red chili depending upon your spice preference
- 1/2 cup garlic paste I used about 15 whole pods of small garlic
- 1 tsp red chili powder or more according to your choice.
- In a bowl, add the chicken, salt, yogurt, lemon juice and ginger garlic paste. Mix well and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or for best results overnight.
- Take out the marinated chicken and cook till all the water is dried up. By the time the water is dried up, the chicken would have been cooked.
- While the chicken gets cooked, get the other ingredients ready.
- In a kadai, take the mustard seed, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and black pepper corns. Roast lightly till a nice aroma emanates and allow it to cool. Dry grind to make a fine powder. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start spluttering add the curry leaves and whole dry red chili.
- Next add in the garlic paste and fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in the ground spice powder and red chili powder. Fry for another 3 to 4 minutes till all the raw smell has vanished from it.
- Next throw in the cooked chicken. Mix well and cook on low flame till oil starts floating on top.
- Your delicious garlic lemon chicken recipe is ready to serve.
Always use fresh lemon juice and garlic for best results.