- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the first 5 ingredients. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; cook 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in butter and vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to 6 dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.
1/2 cup (calculated without whipped cream): 273 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.