Skip to the content
- 9×13 pan
- Pastry brush
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey substitute agave for vegan version
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1/2 tsp rose water
For baklava and filling
- 1 16 oz phyllo dough defrosted, store bought
- 3/4 cup butter melted (used Earth Balance for vegan version)
- 1 tsp white poppy seeds khus khus
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2.5 tsp ground cardmamom powder
- 1 lb toasted nuts 4 cups – almonds, pistachios, walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line pan with parchment paper and toast nuts for 7-9 minutes until flagrant and a little darker. Set aside to cool.
- Boil sugar, water and saffron until sugar melts. Add in honey and let simmer on low for 15 minutes. Take off heat and mix in rose water. Set aside to cool and store in fridge.
- Grind together the nuts, fennel seeds and cardamom. Mix together nuts, ground fennel/cardamom, black pepper powder and white poppy seeds.
- Take phyllo dough out of fridge. Grease pan with butter. If needed, cut phyllo sheets to fit pan (or you can fold over to fit).
- One by one, lay a sheet of phyllo, then use a pastry brush to butter it. Repeat for 14 layers.
- Add half the nut mixture and smooth out evenly across phyllo.
- One by one, add 6 layers of phyllo, buttering each.
- Add the remaining half of the nut mixture. Smooth out evenly.
- Repeat process of layering to top mixture with 14 buttered sheets.
- Cut the baklava into the shapes you desire and bake in oven at 350F for 1 hour 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool and serve!