- 1 ½ cups basmati rice
- 7 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 7 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala, divided
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 pods cardamom, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seed
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red chile powder
- Step 1 Thoroughly rinse basmati rice in a strainer until water runs clear. Transfer rice to a bowl, add fresh water to cover, and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Step 2 Place chicken breast and chicken thigh pieces in a large bowl. Add Greek yogurt, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, salt, and pepper. Mix well to coat chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Step 3 Drain rice and remove marinated chicken from the refrigerator. Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot), select Saute function, and add ghee or oil. When ghee starts to bubble, add cloves, cardamom pods, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, coriander seed, mustard seed, and cumin seeds and saute until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add sliced onion and cook, stirring often, until tender and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Step 4 Add chicken and extra marinade to the cooker. Saute until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Turn off Saute function. Add rice, chicken stock, cilantro, mint, remaining 1 teaspoon garam masala, turmeric, paprika, and chili powder; stir until well mixed.
- Step 5 Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer’s instructions; set timer for 6 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Step 6 Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer’s instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid. Fluff with a fork and serve immediately.
Per Serving: 499 calories; protein 25.4g; carbohydrates 62.8g; fat 16.6g; cholesterol 84.3mg; sodium 542.7mg.