It is a small handheld device designed to control or move the pointer (computer screen’s cursor) in a GUI (graphical user interface). It allows you to point to or select objects on a computer’s display screen. It is generally placed on a flat surface as we need to move it smoothly to control the pointer. Types of Mouse: Trackball mouse, Mechanical Mouse, Optical Mouse, Wireless Mouse, etc.
Main functions of a mouse:
- Move the cursor: It is the main function of the mouse; to move the cursor on the screen.
- Open or execute a program: It allows you to open a folder or document and execute a program. You are required to take the cursor on the folder and double click it to open it.
- Select: It allows you to select text, file, or any other object.
- Hovering: Hovering is an act of moving the mouse cursor over a clickable object. During hovering over an object, it displays information about the object without pressing any button of the mouse.
- Scroll: It allows you to scroll up or down while viewing a long webpage or document.
Parts of a mouse:
- Two buttons: A mouse is provided with two buttons for right click and left click.
- Scroll Wheel: A wheel located between the right and left buttons, which is used to scroll up and down and Zoom in and Zoom out in some applications like AutoCAD.
- Battery: A battery is required in a wireless mouse.
- Motion Detection Assembly: A mouse can have a trackball or an optical sensor to provide signals to the computer about the motion and location of the mouse.