- 4 white sandwich bread slices
- 120 g fresh mozzarella or buffalo mozzarella, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 80 g flour
- 80 g panko breadcrumbs
- 250 ml vegetable frying oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon bechamel sauce
- 2 ham slices
- Cut the crust off from the white sandwich bread slices.
- Brush the bread with béchamel sauce for the Sicilian version, add a slice of ham for the roman way or leave it plain for the Neapolitan. Add 2 thick mozzarella slices (about 1-inch wide) and close the sandwich.
- Arrange the flour in a bowl or plate, and dredge the mozzarella sandwich in until fully coated.
- Beat the eggs and milk in another bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper. Coat the sandwich on all sides with the egg-wash until fully covered.
- Arrange the breadcrumbs on a plate and coat the sandwich to fully seal the mozzarella inside and avoid leaks during frying process. Repeat the breading process if necessary.
- Heat the oil a in a deep heavy sauce-pan. Add more oil if needed until is enough to deep-fry the sandwich.
- Heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°F/ 170°C.
- Gently fold the sandwich in and deep-fry 2 mins on each side, or until crispy and golden on both sides.
- Transfer the sandwich on a plate covered with kitchen paper, allow to cool slightly and serve.
Calories: 1065kcal | Carbohydrates: 116g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Cholesterol: 241mg | Sodium: 1554mg | Potassium: 437mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 745IU | Calcium: 661mg | Iron: 9mg