- 500 grams beef , plus 2 large bones, preferably bones with bone marrow. ( preferable beef cut are beef shank, chuck or round cut). See notes
- 500 grams bones and bone marrow
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3-4 tablespoon Nihari Masala, Start with less add more as needed.
- 1 ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon green chilli paste
- ½ cup plain yogurt, whipped
- ½ cup wheat flour or more for thicker
- Water as needed in
- 4 -6 water cup to cook
- 1 cup water in flour
- 1 cup water , or more, to thin out gravy
- 2 inch ginger , cut thinly in julliene
- 4 lemon wedges
- 2 large green chili, less spicy one
- a handful fresh coriander / cilantro, chopped
- In a large pot and fry sliced onions on low until lightly golden.
- Add beef and bones. Fry beef on medium-high heat for 2-3 until color changes and it is slightly golden. Now add all the ingredients in the spice list and stir further for 1 minute.
- Now, add 4 cups of water that is enough to cover the beef completely. Bring it to boil then reduce heat to slow and cook for 4 hours or overnight (on very low heat). Make sure the lid is tightly closed. (If using instant pot or pressure cooker, cook time will be 45 minutes.)
- Once the meat is tender, remove the bones. Carefully extract the bone marrow from hot bones and aside in bowl. (if using bones with marrow)
- Make flour slurry by mixing flour with cold water until smooth. Add flour slurry and whipped yogurt to the beef stew.
- Adjust water as needed and bring it to boil. Keep stirring so the flour slurry doesn’t form lumps. Once the nihari starts boiling. Reduce heat and let it simmer slowly for 15 minutes until a thick layer of oil rises naturally.
- Now add extrated bone marrow to nihari (if using) and serve hot Nihari with garnish and lemon wedges. Fill extra garnish in a plate and serve along nihari.
Beef Cut: Right beef cut is key to perfect nihari. Use boneless beef from beef shank and bones with bone marrow. Other options are tough stewing beef like chuck and round cuts. Bones are necessary for nihari so make sure you add some bone with or without bone marrow.Mutton: If you wish to make nihari with lamb or mutton. Use lamb leg cuts and bones with bone marrow. The method remains the same, cooking time will reduce to 1hour and 20 minutes or less. (Cooking time in the instant pot or pressure cooker is 25 minutes.)For Gluten-free or Keto Nihari: Substitute wheat flour with almond flour.
Serving: 6servings ,Calories: 534kcal ,Carbohydrates: 11g ,Protein: 25g ,Fat: 44g ,Saturated Fat: 8g ,Trans Fat: 1g ,Cholesterol: 62mg ,Sodium: 525mg ,Potassium: 421mg ,Fiber: 3g ,Sugar: 3g ,Vitamin A: 73IU ,Vitamin C: 12mg ,Calcium: 120mg ,Iron: 4mg