Skip to the content
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups (187.5g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (184g) low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup warm coffee
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon McCormick pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (60g) heavy cream, cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare two 8-inch round cake pans with grease and flour.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl with a handheld mixer), add cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Slowly add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Divide the batter between pans. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out with a few crumbs (but not wet batter), about 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes. Turn out from pans. Transfer to wire racks. Let cool completely as you make the whipped cream.
- In a large bowl, whip cream until soft peaks are just about to form. Add in vanilla and confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks form, making sure not to overbeat.
Assembling the Cake
- Set one of the 8-inch round cakes on a cake stand.
- Spread about 1 cup of whipped cream over the cake with an offset spatula.
- Set the second cake on top of the first cake. Cover the second cake in whipped cream.
- Place the fruit on the lower edge of the cake. Then, place more fruit on top of the second cake. Garnish with baby’s breath (optional, but remove before eating the cake).