There is no particular medication that helps to prevent MODS. Researchers have investigated ways to treat early MODS to prevent worsening illness, but interventions can be controversial.
However, there is good evidence that healthcare providers can avoid worsening organ dysfunction by:
- Minimizing trauma to the lungs during ventilatory support
- Restricting blood transfusions until absolutely necessary
- Avoiding medications that are toxic to the kidneys
- Giving medications to prevent ulcers and bleeding in the stomach
- Giving people good nutrition
- Preventing hematologic complications by thinning the blood.