If you elect not to see a healthcare provider, be sure to clean the wound thoroughly at home. Sometimes, even if you didn’t need to seek medical help immediately after your injury, you may still need a healthcare provider’s care.
For example, if you experience any of the following after a few days of home treatment, you should contact a healthcare provider:
- Swelling, pain, or redness around the wound
- Red streaks visible near the injury, pointing toward the heart
- Pus discharging from the wound or visible in it
- Numbness in the area around the injury
- Having a temperature over 100 F
If you notice any of these symptoms, but can’t schedule a healthcare provider’s appointment that day, you should go to the emergency room.