- 2 cups or ½ kg basmati rice
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 10 – 12 black peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds sufaid zeera
- 2 black cardamom bari elaichi
- 2 inch piece cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ – 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tomatoes cut into cubes
- 4 – 6 medium potatoes cut into 6 – 8 pieces
- Clean and wash rice. Soak for ½ hour, and set aside.
- Heat oil.Fry onions for a few minutes till light golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste, followed by whole spices (peppercorn, cloves, cumin seeds and cardamom). Saute for a minute and then add the powdered spices (coriander powder, red chili powder and turmeric). Cook for 2 – 3 minutes, adding a splash of water if spices are sticking to the pan.
- Add cubed tomatoes and potatoes. Cook for 5 – 10 minutes, till tomatoes are soft.
- Add rice with about 4 cups water. Add salt to taste and give it a stir.Cook on medium – high flame till water has almost evaporated.
- Once the water has evaporated, add 2 – 3 green chilies on top. Close the lid and keep on low simmer (dum) till rice is cooked through.
- Serve hot with raita on the side.
Other vegetables like beans or peas or cauliflower can be added to tahari based on personal taste.