Skip to the content
- 1 3/4 cup (210g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (90g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup (240g) buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. McCormick pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (112g) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup (237g) freshly brewed coffee
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl and mix until combined.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into two 8-inch round prepared pans and bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 350°F, until a cake tester or toothpick comes out mostly clean (not wet).
- Cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.