- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup 1/2-inch long vermicelli
- 1 cup Egyptian rice (short-grain rice)
- salt to taste
- 1 3/4 cups water
- Step 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add vermicelli; cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour in rice and salt; stir until coated with oil.
- Step 2Reduce heat to low. Cook the rice mixture, stirring constantly, until rice turns pasty white, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Step 3Bring water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Step 4Stir water into the rice mixture. Cover; cook until most of the water is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Turn off heat; let sit until remaining water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.
Most often, Egyptian rice is cooked with very short vermicelli pasta. If you don’t have short vermicelli pasta available, you can break regular long vermicelli into about 1/2-inch pieces.
Per Serving: 330 calories; protein 5.5g; carbohydrates 59.1g; fat 7.3g; sodium 57.1mg