- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- Food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap and refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until set (do not brown), 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat butter, shortening and vanilla until blended. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and enough milk to reach spreading consistency; beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. If desired, beat in food coloring. Frost cookies. (Keep frosting covered with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
1 cookie: 149 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.