Workstation is a single user computer that is designed for technical or scientific applications. It has a faster microprocessor, a large amount of RAM and high speed graphic adapters. It generally performs a specific job with great expertise; accordingly, they are of different types such as graphics workstation, music workstation and engineering design workstation.
Characteristics of workstation computer:
- It is a high-performance computer system designed for a single user for business or professional use.
- It has larger storage capacity, better graphics, and more powerful CPU than a personal computer.
- It can handle animation, data analysis, CAD, audio and video creation and editing.
Any computer that has the following five features, can be termed as a workstation or can be used as a workstation.
- Multiple Processor Cores: It has more processor cores than simple laptops or computers.
- ECC RAM: It is provided with Error-correcting code memory that can fix memory errors before they affect the system’s performance.
- RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks): It refers to multiple internal hard drives to store or process data. RAID can be of different types, for example, there can be multiple drives to process data or mirrored drives where if one drive does not work than other starts functioning.
- SSD: It is better than conventional hard-disk drives. It does not have moving parts, so the chances of physical failure are very less.
- Optimized, Higher end GPU: It reduces the load on CPU. E.g., CPU has to do less work while processing the screen output.